I'm running the London Marathon 2010 for ChildLine

Sunday 4 April 2010

Philosophy of a runner

I was out with friends yesterday and we got talking about running and the thoughts that go through your mind when out training, and it got me thinking.  What motivates people do these things?  Obviously there are the things like raising money for a great cause, the personal sense achievement of doing something that a few months earlier wouldn't have been possible or using an event like this as a motivator to get/keep fit.  But what else?

I was reading someone's Blog (which is a fantastic read by the way) the other day and he's probably summed it up better than I can, as everything he has said in this post I think I agree with.  As well as the natural "comparing yourself to others", the thing that has really struck me is the sense of "being part of a group".  It's a great feeling on those mornings where the sun is just rising and you're out for a run and basically the only other people you see are other runners.  Some runners are "in the zone" and hardly notice you (this is fine and is not meant as a criticism by the way!), others have their iPod's in and are running along admiring the scenery as much as doing a "serious" run and will give a little wave (this is probably me) and others look like they maybe out for one of their first runs and are just starting a new regime or something.  I always try and give them a little wave or a "keep going....you're doing well" as I know only too well what those first few runs out can be like.

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks, I've noticed a few people out who are also doing the London Marathon.  Like me, they're practising in their charity running short/vest and there is this instant 'bond' ("I know what you're going through mate.....good luck!").  It's strange, but I get motivation from this (and I hope the other runner does too).  Also, on my last long run the other day, a few people in cars were beeping their horns and giving me a little wave, which is really great.  I've heard before that the "buzz" of running the London Marathon is something that can't be explained.  If I get around, I'll try my best to on here after the event.

I've read dozens of blogs, posts and FaceBook discussion threads over the last few months and I really do feel like I'm part of a "group" (maybe a slightly mad, psychotic group, but a group none the less!).  I've had my ups and downs during this training and in all honesty, there have probably been more downs than ups.  However, it's never really seriously crossed my mind to pull out of the training (in all honesty, I did have a wobble in the new year, when I was awaiting results of blood tests), and I think I've done all I can now.

Reading back over my Blog the other day was interesting.  I think I've come a long way, but I've also pretty much kept to the schedule that I created for myself back in October, so I'm pleased!  In fact, the very act of keeping this Blog has been a great motivator....I've had a few comments on here, and also a few emails saying 'enjoying the blog....good luck', which is fantastic and really appreciated.  I'm just looking forward to the event now, keeping injury free, keeping my weight consistent and hopefully getting around the event in one piece.

Only 3 weeks to go now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment