I'm running the London Marathon 2010 for ChildLine

Sunday 25 April 2010

Last update before the marathon!

Well, here we are. 6 months of training has brought me to this point. 100's of miles of training on the roads over dozens of hours. 6 months of me nagging everyone I know for sponsorship are coming to an end, and I'm nervous......but also very excited for what's about to come. Bring it on!!

I'm in London with my wife and yesterday was all about getting to London and registering at the Excel centre to get my running number and timing tag, which I've done.

Also, I've eaten sensibly, drank plenty of water and kept clear of the booze for a week so I know I've done all I can to prepare and I've just been trying to relax, although I haven't slept all that well.

The Excel centre was great as that feeling of being part of something huge was even more amplified. Everywhere you go you see runners clutching their red Virgin kit bags and it's great to see and to know that I'm going be a part of something so special.

I was getting pretty nervous yesterday, but I'm glad my wife was with me to help calm me down. We had a nice meal (pasta, of course!) and we went and walked the last half mile or so. Even there, the atmosphere was building. The roads around the Mall were closed to traffic and we were able to walk up the finish straight, whilst the organisers were finishing off their final preparatons. I was able picture myself crossing that finishing line and I'm going to do all I can to make sure that happens.

Getting to this point has probably been one of the hardest things, physically and mentally, that I've had to do. Now, all that's left is for me to do the final bit and soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but if you want you should be able to track my progress at
http://marathon.mhub3.net/LM_RunnerLocation.aspx?lmrid=43845&__w=320

All that's left to say is 'thanks' for all the donations so far......they are really appreciated! Any more sponsorship of any size is gratefully received athttp://www.justgiving.com/graydon-widdicombe/

No comments:

Post a Comment