I'm running the London Marathon 2010 for ChildLine

Sunday 18 April 2010

Last training session before the main event!

Wow!  I think today will be my last training session before the event next week.  It was a fairly easy 6 miler and it was a good session.  The weather was warm, but I was out before it got too hot so it was a nice way to end the training.  Also, it was really nice as my wife was out as well, which was great.

Looking back, I've completed nearly 400 miles in training, plus gym sessions and several long walks.  I'm confident that I've done all I can do, and I've completed the training to the best of my ability.  I was toying with the idea of doing another 4-6 miler in the week but I don't think I will now as it's not going to be much use for the day itself and I'd be worrying about injuring myself unnecessarily at this stage.  I think all that is left for me to do is do plenty of stretching in this final week and try and eat and drink sensibly.  I always knew the hard part would be the training, and now all I've got to do is 26 miles on the day.....

I was chatting to a mate about what I may feel like at the start, and I have a feeling it may be like those nervous minutes before an exam.  Do you remember those moments immediately before an exam where people were talking about what they have/haven't done in preparation?  I have a feeling that it may be like that at the start line, so I'll probably be an anti-social sod and just keep my ear phones in!  That thought, together with the fact that there will be a strong smell of deep heat is making me feel sick at the moment....

In all seriousness though, I'm nervous but I'm also looking forward to the day as well.  I'm hoping for cool, misty rain conditions, but even if that's not the case I'm looking forward to being part of a great day. 

I've even downloaded the BBC London Marathon music and put it on my iPod.  I'm hoping to run through the line to this.....!

No comments:

Post a Comment