I'm running the London Marathon 2010 for ChildLine

Sunday 24 January 2010

16 mile walk, and a gym session

Continuing with the walking between pubs theme, my wife and I did another long walk yesterday (16 miles), which was great.  Also, I got up this morning and went to the gym for an hour or so, plus went for another smallish walk this afternoon, so I'm quite pleased. 

It means that in the last 10 days, I've:
  • walked over 36 miles
  • ran aproximately 33 miles
  • been to the gym
Part way through the walk yesterday, we stopped at a Prezzo as they're having their £10 meal promotion at the moment.  The promotion includes a starter, main and a drink, which is great.  In all seriousness though, I need to think about what I'm going to eat in the run up to the marathon day, and particularly the day and evening before the marathon.  Yesterday I just had bruchetta and some pasta with meatballs (and a slice of pizza which was going spare), which I think is probably what I'll have a lot of in the run up to the event.  Pasta is a great source of carbs, and it is easy to run on the following day without having any digestive issues.  From this website:
Let's start with carbohydrates, in effect the source of fuel that your body runs on. These are commonly sourced from pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and pulses. Pasta, in particular, has often been portrayed as the runner's food of choice because it is relatively easy to prepare and can be combined with a simple sauce that will bring additional nutritional benefits, for example tomatoes, broccoli or spinach.

We had another smaller walk into town this afternoon, to go to a pub that is celebrating Burns' week where I'll no doubt be sampling some Haggis, Neeps and Tatties

I'm generally feeling a lot fitter in myself, which is noticeable by everyday changes.  For example, I happen to live at the top of a steep hill, and it's a lot easier walking up there.  I am much hungrier than normal though, but I think that's to be expected with the amount of exercise I've been doing lately.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm maintaining my weight, which is great, and also decreasing my percentage fat, which is even better.  I think I'll lose a few more pounds yet, but I'm not really actively trying to lose anymore weight.

Looking into the near future, I'm going to be pretty busy at work what with one thing and another, so it's going to be difficult for me to get out for runs as regularly as I'd like/need to.  However, looking into March, there is the Bideford Half Marathon, which I'm thinking of entering.

No comments:

Post a Comment