I'm running the London Marathon 2010 for ChildLine

Monday 15 February 2010

Back in the swing of things now

I had another gym session today, so I think I'm back in the swing of things now following my India trip.  I'm very conscious that I should be getting the miles in, and I'm hoping to get a reasonable run in on the weekend if I can, depending on my knee.

Regarding my knee, I have been emailing my old mate from school (who I mentioned in my previous post) who has given me lots of advice.  I also went to my local running shop today who gave me a few pointers and stressed the importance of warming up/down and stretching, which is something that I admit I don't give enough time to.  The main stretches are:
Also, as I have a desk job, it's been recommended that I get up from the desk regularly and do some of these simple stretches throughout the day.

The cold weather at the moment may be giving me an added problem and both my mate on email and the guys at the running shop stressed the importance of keeping warm.  Currently, I'm just running in shorts, but I'll give it a go with jogging bottoms to see how I get on.  I also purchased a knee support, which should help keep things in place, as well as help retain body heat in the joint.  Warmth in the joints will help keep everything loose as opposed to the ligaments contracting with the cold.

If I do happen to get another knee injury, the advice is to apply ice to the knee.  This helps to reduce any swelling, pain. bruising or muscle spasms.  Also, Ibuprofen before or after a run can be taken as required.

No comments:

Post a Comment