I'm running the London Marathon 2010 for ChildLine

Saturday 3 October 2009

First run with the Garmin

In my last post I talked about some devices that can help track progress over time.  After some advice from a guy at work and some other people who recommended the Garmin Forerunner, I went with the 305.  It arrived from Amazon this morning, so I took the opportunity to set up what was required.

  • I downlaoded SportTracks which is some free software to help analyse the data that the Forerunner generates when in use.  The device does come with some software, but I've read that the SportTracks software is better.
  • I set up a free account with RunSaturday.com and got my own account here.  There is not much on there in the way of profile information at the moment, but it currently shows the results of my first run which is great.  You have to click on 'analyse training' from that page, to see my data from the first run.
It looks really good.  It integrates with Google Maps and Google Earth and shows things including:
  • heart rate
  • altitude
  • speed etc.
From my first run with the device, where I really wasn't pushing it, I managed about 6.47 miles (very nearly 1/4 of  a marathon) in 0:58:38, which isn't too bad for me.  The particular route is about half the Torbay Half Maraton route, and it is a great route with some nice scenary to take away the thought of actually running.....

I guess, moving forward through the training, this will be the benchmark I'll try and impove against.  It will be interesting to see if my heart rate improves over time, whilst running the same distance.  It will also be interesting to see if I start running the same distance quicker over time.

I love my gadgets, and I'm pleased I bought this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment